Guided Imagery is a technique that engages your imagination and senses to allow you to fully “experience” a location in your mind. When you fully immerse yourself in the details, you the gain a sense of calm and relaxation.
Here are some cues to help you give guided imagery a try on your own:
- Get into a comfortable position.
- Begin with some deep breathing, like you’ve already been practicing.
- Now, close your eyes and visualize a place. This can be any place that elicits a pleasant sense of calm.
- Allow your breathing to become deeper. Now imagine how your peaceful place sounds. Hear all of the sounds, and identify them.
- Now imagine what this place smells like. Inhale deeply. Identify the smells.
- Take a moment to feel anything in this space. Maybe a gentle breeze? Soft cool grass? Or the warmth of the sun?
- Stay in this place, enjoying all of the sensations. Be aware of how you feel.
- When you are ready, in your mind, find an “exit” from your happy place.
- Move your body gently, and slowly bring awareness back to your current location.