This technique is fundamental to ALL deep breathing techniques. No matter the pattern or rhythm, you’ll want to learn and practice this technique.
Imagine as you breathe, you are filling a balloon instead of your lungs.
- Pick a color for your balloon and picture it in your mind.
- This balloon expands down into your belly. When the balloon fills, so does your belly.
Follow These Steps:
- Breathe in through your nose
- Picture your balloon filling up.
- Breathe in until the balloon is full (not uncomfortably full)
- Now, allow the air to gently and slowly deflate your balloon
- Your belly is relaxing as escaping air deflates the balloon.
- This occurs naturally without force.
Feel the emptiness of your balloon.
Now repeat this process 3-5 times to help relax and relieve stress.
Now let’s try some specific breathing patterns to help you relax and de-stress: